Saturday, May 14, 2011

I have been told I have a slipped disc in my lower back. My doctor says I need surgery. I am 44 year old and have mild to moderate pain but can work. Should I go for it?


Prolapsed discs are very common in our society; at least 5% of the population has prolapsed disc but not all of these people have symptoms. In some cases , prolapsed disc may cause pain which runs down the buttocks. In the majority of cases, this pain will settle down with non-surgical treatments. Surgery is only recommended in people who are in a hurry to recover and do not want to be bothered with exercise and/or a weight loss program. However, you should know that the results of surgery are not great. The majority of patients turn out to be worse. My advice is that you should exercise, lose weight and keep away from back surgeons- unless you want a life of intense pain and remain disabled for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment